Friday 13 July 2012

Win or Lose

Last night we had a big challenge.  Now by challenge, I mean a competition or "fitness challenge".  We knew it was coming but really didn't know what to expect.   We were devided into groups of 3 or 4 and given a list of exercises.  I think our group was the wackiest of the bunch and we like to joke and have a good time.  These girls really make workouts fun and I enjoy spending time with them.  We had to give our group a name and as usual we were being silly so we called ourselves the "Play Doh's" (and yes, I spelled doh right because it was in reference to the Simpsons and how we felt when hearing about the challenge)! 

Each exercise was worth a number of points.  The goal for each group was to hit 1000 points by the time our hour was over.  Here is an example of a few of the exercises:
20 shoulder presses = 5 points
100 jumping jacks = 15 points
1 minute plank = 20 points (FYI: that one really sucks!!!)
1 lap jog, run, or walk around the building = 25 points (the weather was also in the high 30's yesterday which made it worse)

Our team collectively managed to do a total of 1105 points!!  Unfortunately we didn't win because two other teams were around 1400 points (they were stronger runners so they mostly did the laps around the building over and over again).  The winning team won kitchen raids where our trainer and nutritionist will invade their kitchens and go through their cupboards.  It would have been nice to win but not everything is all about the competition.  Our team may not have won the prize but I am so proud of what we accomplished! 

Last night I finally started to see the difference in how quickly I can move now and I am definitely getting stronger and more flexible.  Over the past week or so I've started to notice some of my flexibility coming back.  One of our stretches after every workout is stretching our thigh by bending our knee and grabbing our foot from behind.  I do not have great balance yet so I still hold onto the wall but I'm okay with that.  I have progressed from grabbing the bottom of my pant leg, to grabbing the back of shoe, to the bottom edge of my shoe.  Last night, for the first time in many years, I was able to grab my ankle on both sides and even managed to do it with ease!

On top of the ability to move faster, I'm stronger.  I can lift and move things without worrying about my RA flaring like it used to.  I am also starting to feel like the old me again.  I am singing more.  I can't help but dance when I hear music.  For those who didn't know me before my illness, I used to sing and dance in public.  I was a performer and I loved it.  It was my life. 

My medical issues have caused me a lot of physical and emotional pain and until recently, even took away my ability to sing.  Just as my voice started to come back earlier this year, I got sick again, developed laryngitis and my throat had trouble healing.  This week, I've discovered that my voice is back and I think it might finally be here to stay!  I smile a lot more now and I am happy.  It has been a long time since I've been able to say for certain that "I AM HAPPY".  There has always been a "but" or a "sort of" to go along with it.  I knew this program would do me a lot of good, but the affect it has had on every aspect of my life has been such a great surprise.  Every time I look in the mirror, I start to recognize myself a little bit more as the weight comes off.  For too many years now there has been a stranger looking back at me, but now I see Laura looking back at me and she is so ready to come out of hiding!

Compeition or not, 1st place or 19th, I will come out of this a winner.

Goodnight and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment