Monday 16 July 2012

I Am Blessed

I had a long and wonderful weekend this weekend.  I spent most of Friday relaxing and getting caught up on some well needed rest.  Of course, that rest pretty much went out the window after another brutal workout Saturday morning with Chantalle...

Our training session on Saturday consisted of what Chantalle called her "Butt & Gut" workout.  Yes, it was as awful as it sounds!  By the time we were done the crunches, lifts, planks, etc I didn't think I'd ever be able to peel myself off of that mat again.  Miraculously, I managed to but only because I had plans on Sunday that I didn't want to cancel! 

Yesterday was my day for celebration and fun!  I spent some well deserved time with family and friends to celebrate my upcoming birthday.  It was more than I ever could have asked for.  For the most part I stayed on plan very well because I had given my mother my requests for dinner and dessert, both of which were recipes on my plan.  Everyone loved the ginger-honey chicken, spicy spaghetti squash and double fudge brownies (made with black beans).  Who knew healthy eating could taste so good?!  Kathy Smart did!

I'm not going to pretend that I was perfect though because I did have a snack in the afternoon of hummus on grain crackers (on plan) and bruchetta on garlic crackers (not on plan).  The treat was wonderful and it may have been more than I should have had, but it was less than I would have had!  My other cheat (which I decided I very much deserved) was a couple of my favorite beverages.  Let me tell you, they taste even better when you know you shouldn't be having them!  All in all, I think it was a very successful day considering that I could have really blown it.  The weigh-in tomorrow may not be as great as I'd like, but I'm okay with it this week because I'll make up for it next week.

Now, onto my other news...

A year ago, after my sister went to Las Vegas for her 30th birthday and I heard about a few of my other friends doing the same, I decided I needed to make a plan for myself.  I knew there was no way I'd manage to fly to Vegas for mine but I wanted to do something exciting.  I told my mother what I wanted to do for my 30th birthday and as it turns out, she was the only person in my family who had any interest in doing it with me.  As time crept closer the possibility seemed to vanish but I was hoping I could still do something I'd remember for a long time. 

Yesterday as I was opening my birthday presents, I received some really amazing, and very touching gifts: a new wardrobe (now that my old one doesn't seem to fit!), a gorgeous leather bench to help me climb into my new bed (unfortunately this new plan hasn't helped me grow any taller), and a donation to the International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement in my name (which helps to educate people about the difference between autoimmune arthritis and the arthritis most people think of).  Those were incredible and I really couldn't have asked for better, more thoughtful gifts. 

Then I opened the gift from my parents and I began to cry.  I was speechless.  It was a piece of paper telling me that beyond my wildest dreams, my 30th birthday wish is coming true.  I'm going up in a hot air balloon, for a sunset champagne flight, with my mom!!!  It was originally planned for the trip to fall exactly on my birthday, but then The Biggest Loser happened.  With the training, weigh-ins and measurements all happening tomorrow there was no way they could make the ride happen too.  So instead the trip is planned for next Monday, the first official day of my summer vacation.  I cannot imagine a better way to celebrate the start of summer, my journey, or my 30th birthday!  This is going to be a summer that I will never forget.

May God bless each of you as He has blessed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment