Tuesday 26 June 2012

To the Limit and Beyound

Well, we are now two weeks into the program and tonight's training session was intense.  We arrived at the gym and were immediately told to head to Green's Creek.  I didn't know what that was at first because I didn't know the name.  Instead of being in the gym, we had to go down and up a massive hill.  Put it this way, as a child, it was the ultimate tobogan run (and still is) when it's full of snow.  I hadn't been there since I was very young and now I know why...going back up is brutal!

I knew I could not handle running or jogging it without injuring myself, so I walked it.  Walking down really put pressure on my knees and it hurt quite a lot (they are still hot from the pain and some swelling).  But heading back up felt like being punched in the lungs!  I think I took my inhaler 2 times just on my way back up.  After I made it up to the top, Adrian had us do some weights and then told us to do the hill again.  I explained that it really hurt my kness and for the first time since starting this, I felt like he wasn't really taking my RA into consideration.  I began to feel overwhelmed and the tears began to flow. He told me I had two options, I could do it or give up.  He explained that he didn't think I was that kind of person, the kind to give up.  I'm stubborn but have had issues giving up on things when they get tough my whole life (like never quite giving things my all so if I failed I could say I could have done better).  So the thought of giving up tonight made me feel like a failure because I really didn't think I could do it again.  I don't handle failure very well.

It was really hard, but not only did I do it again that second time, I came most of the way back up the hill backwards like everyone else and then I did it again a third time!!!  Then we went up, down and across walking paths along the top of the hill, stopping for different exercises, took a group photo at a lookout (will post in the next blog) then back to the hill for a forth trip down and back up.  This time Adrian was willing to accept that I (and another woman) had pushed beyond our limits and would not manage another trip down that hill unless he was willing to carry us back up!  So instead, he worked our upper body while the others were on the hill.  He worked our arms until they were ready to fall off and wouldn't let us stop until the last person made it back to the top of the hill.

After our workout we headed back to the gym (180 Fitness) to do our weigh-ins.  After 2 weeks on the program, I have now lost 15 lbs!  I'm quite pleased with myself because after last week's amazing weigh-in, I was aiming to hit that 15-pound mark this week but I wasn't sure I'd quite get there.  That's over a pound per day!!!  Next week we do more measurements which I'm hoping goes really well since I'm really starting to feel a difference in my clothes.  For now I'm off to get some well deserved rest and just hope that tonight's workout doesn't give me nightmares...

Good night and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment