Saturday 23 June 2012

Constant Reminders

This morning during our training session at 9:00 am we went outside to do circuits.  There was a light breeze and it was slightly cloudy when we started.  By the time we had been outside pushing hard through the exercises for 40 minutes, the sun had grown much stronger and the sky was completely clear.  For the average person this would pose as difficult.  For me, it became impossible.

I am on a medication called Rituxan (Rituximab).  My medication is administered once every 6 months.  It is a chemotherapy drug and is administered in a high dose by a 5 hour infusion twice in a two week period.  I am not scheduled for another one until August so occasionally I forget that it's still in my body and can still have side effects.  It suppresses my immune system so that my immune system will not attack my body.  A side effect of the multiple medications I'm on is sensitivity to the sun.  After 40 minutes into our workout, I had to go inside because I began to feel very nauseous and dizzy.  Once the others finished their circuit outside, she brought them in to join me where we all finished the workout for the last 10-15 minutes.  Unfortunately, by then I also began to feel very weak and shaky so I had to take it all very slow.

All of this was just another constant reminder than I'm different and have extra hurdles to overcome.  I've been careful to make modifications for my joints but forgot to think about the side effects of my medications.  I feel bad that I couldn't push as hard in my workout today, but I need to learn to accept that sometimes that is out of my control and must be done as a matter of health.

Following our workout I had a discussion with Chantal (my trainer on Saturday mornings), explaining that even with a hat and sunscreen, I just can't handle the sun and heat.  I told her that I may not be able to participate in the Saturday morning training sessions if it is sunny or extremely humid.  She then said that in the future while the others are outside, she will remain inside with me so that I can continue to work out.  It's so amazing to know that the trainers are so supportive and willing to make any changes necessary to help me, despite my disease.

I am getting very anxious for the next way in on Tuesday but for now I'm off to enjoy my afternoon cooling off inside and hope that all of you stay safe and cool too.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment